- Trailing business like it's a TV programme
- 2013-07-05: I'm curious about how TV trails you in.
- So, for many years now, I've resisted committing to TV programmes. I won't watch serials. I'm actually scared of wasting my life on something like 'Lost' where I start with an implied agreement to watch, say, 8 episodes and end up committed to 122 that don't, in the end, leave me with anything of value.
- I watch Channel 4 News when I can, flick the TV around in the morning trying to find interesting news and occasionally I'll try to find a film to watch. Oh, and Top Gear.
- Just recently, though, I committed to The Returned (8 episodes) and around that, I've found myself tempted, by trailers, to watch other programmes.
- And that got me thinking ..
- .. about how businesses could and should be working together, trailing each other, working in partnership. So if I work for a dentist, why can't I partner with an optician, and if we're talking teeth whitening and stylish specs, why not a hairdresser and clothes shops and other lifestyle sources.
- That's kinda it .. the thought. The metaphor of marketing businesses as if they were TV programmes, by trailing them around other programmes/businesses.
By John Allsopp
Next: How brands actually work, and how to use branding to turn your small business up to eleven. -
Previous: How to be one hundred and eleven times more effective on Twitter -
Back to blog list